I have this really strange habit, I pick up on certain habits of people around me. I realize now, when I look back as to how much better I was when I was not trying to imitate anyone. I do not do it on purpose, it is just that if I spend a significant amount of time around someone it just comes to me. Sometimes I notice things in peoples' mannerisms which I do not like and then I pick up exactly that out of nowhere and it sucks. It is probably a good thing to pick up the good things from people but when you pick up the wrong things it really really sucks. Thank you Mandy Moore for the tongue twisting "s" pronunciation that I have now inherited, and I am not quite sure from whom I have got this weird lip movement I do when I talk. I never had it before! I am trying to get rid of it though.
It does not stop at that. There was this female I knew during my junior college days who had a really awkward walk, so awkward that it was offensive at times. No points for guessing that I got it in me out of no fucking where and I started walking like her, thankfully I noticed it before it was too late and got to correct it before I was made a mockery out of. I had a hair flip phase too, where I used to unintentionally flip my hair like this other girl who did it and I did not even like to see that! It absolutely did not suit her. Now that I look back there are very few good things that I might have picked up in the process, like sitting with my legs crossed all the time. I used to sit like , like, like.. I cannot even explain. It is more than offensive :| Another good thing I learned is pretending to care as if I was interested in something someone was saying and I was completely uninterested (Right. Alexandra?) in it. Just throwing a flashy smile works wonders. There are very few people who are victims of that smile.
I visit Hannah every morning and she is only 9 years old and I can see her picking up many (almost every) mannerisms of me. I get told by everyone in the family how she is very high maintenance, just like I am. IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A COMPLIMENT? And for the record, I am not high maintenance. I just have an opinion and when I dislike something I say it, ok I don't even say it but my expressions do the work for me. For a 9 year old she is pretty opinionated and might I add she has picked up my manners but in a very wrong way. I do not sound like most Indians do, like I have a slight accent, and I roll my "r" and pronounce some words in a not-so-Indian way. (This should be a good time to say that I have done my accent vlog over a month ago but I am still contemplating on whether or not to post it on the blog! ) When Hannah does it, it sounds unnatural. But when I do it, it's okay. But honestly, I would much rather teach a kid how to pronounce correctly than to pronounce a "sanctuary" as "century". I am pretty sure you guys got the drill.
I was reading Alexandra's blog post some time ago and she spoke about her Grammar pet peeves. I have all those, and more! On my older blog I did this huge post about English and I will quote some lines from that out here...
There was a lot more that I wrote, because especially where I come from, people might be big on using complicated words but they really don't know the simpler things most of the times.
What else is left, I am doing good on my routine so far! I have not written in my food journal for a week though. I should start that tonight. There are some complicated things going around too, but like I said yesterday, I am a pro at turning away from bad things when I am in a good mood, so I am chilled out!
Have an amazing day everyone :D
Love,
Apfel
x
It does not stop at that. There was this female I knew during my junior college days who had a really awkward walk, so awkward that it was offensive at times. No points for guessing that I got it in me out of no fucking where and I started walking like her, thankfully I noticed it before it was too late and got to correct it before I was made a mockery out of. I had a hair flip phase too, where I used to unintentionally flip my hair like this other girl who did it and I did not even like to see that! It absolutely did not suit her. Now that I look back there are very few good things that I might have picked up in the process, like sitting with my legs crossed all the time. I used to sit like , like, like.. I cannot even explain. It is more than offensive :| Another good thing I learned is pretending to care as if I was interested in something someone was saying and I was completely uninterested (Right. Alexandra?) in it. Just throwing a flashy smile works wonders. There are very few people who are victims of that smile.
![]() |
| I am so not like this! |
I visit Hannah every morning and she is only 9 years old and I can see her picking up many (almost every) mannerisms of me. I get told by everyone in the family how she is very high maintenance, just like I am. IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A COMPLIMENT? And for the record, I am not high maintenance. I just have an opinion and when I dislike something I say it, ok I don't even say it but my expressions do the work for me. For a 9 year old she is pretty opinionated and might I add she has picked up my manners but in a very wrong way. I do not sound like most Indians do, like I have a slight accent, and I roll my "r" and pronounce some words in a not-so-Indian way. (This should be a good time to say that I have done my accent vlog over a month ago but I am still contemplating on whether or not to post it on the blog! ) When Hannah does it, it sounds unnatural. But when I do it, it's okay. But honestly, I would much rather teach a kid how to pronounce correctly than to pronounce a "sanctuary" as "century". I am pretty sure you guys got the drill.
I was reading Alexandra's blog post some time ago and she spoke about her Grammar pet peeves. I have all those, and more! On my older blog I did this huge post about English and I will quote some lines from that out here...
- "I didn't knew/went" and "I didn't told/said" is wrong English. It's always "I didn't know/go" and "I didn't say/tell". You cannot use two consecutive words in past tense like that, even if you're talking of things in the past.
- "I said her to do this" is wrong English. "I told her/I asked her to do this" is correct.
- It's not "A Umbrella". It's "An Umbrella". Read this, and you will know what I'm talking about.
- BTW is By The Way. It's not Between. I have seen so many people use this! At one point of time I actually felt that I was wrong. Click here if you want to know more about this and more about these abbreviations and what they stand for.
- You never "ride" a car, and never "drive" a plane or bike. You "drive" a car, you "ride" a bike, you "fly" a plane.
There was a lot more that I wrote, because especially where I come from, people might be big on using complicated words but they really don't know the simpler things most of the times.
What else is left, I am doing good on my routine so far! I have not written in my food journal for a week though. I should start that tonight. There are some complicated things going around too, but like I said yesterday, I am a pro at turning away from bad things when I am in a good mood, so I am chilled out!
Have an amazing day everyone :D
Love,
Apfel
x


14 comments:
I said to her this, "We was going to drive my bikes, but I didn't knew it was raining, and I forgot a umbrella."
Between stacey I wl tok to u lyk dis frm nw on kthxbye
Hey pretty! Hope all is well. We have to catch up soon! So much to tell! xoxo
Haha, too cute that she is picking things up for you. I don't pick up mannerisms, just language and slang from others. But I kinda like that. And all those grammar things, reminds me of teaching my english students!
I pick up on some little mannerisms of my friends. I think we all do. It happens when you spend a lot of time with anyone.
I love that we're all talking about grammar right now :)
Well, if you're aware that you do this, that means you can tell the 'good' mannerisms from the 'bad' ones and decide which ones you want to keep.
I've picked up a weird Midwestern twang from a friend since I got to the States.
LOL GoogleAds on this page: "Improve your English pronunciation within 30 days free. Guaranteed." Oh boy, nothing gets by you, Google.
I picked up the sitting cross legged thingy too,and at times people look at me as ig I am showing off..*balls to them*
I completely dedicate my Phd in slangs and abusiveness to my first year college friends,specially this one girl whom I used to call PB,and I am actually happy that I learned to use slang!
I picked up my honesty from my papa and I am proud of it :)
My walk is weird,coz again its papa,I used to walk like him when I was small,so that is how I walk even now,pretty fast and a li'l manly :P
dats abt it!
Fool,
I was getting worried that you disappeared! Yes we have to catch up on a lot of stuff :) Message me, whenever! Lots of Love :) xoxoxox
Lindsey,
Yeah! As long as she picks up on the good things :) I am not too good with my grammar but I try to keep it reasonably good whenever I talk in public. In person I am all about "u" and stuff :P
Alexandra,
I agree, it happens when we spend a lot of time with people! Yeah I love talking about grammar :) I loved your post too!
Chris!
ROFL the Google Ads I just noticed them too =)) Yeah, as long as I can distinguish between the 2 and make a choice, it all works out. It actually becomes fun then :)
Purple,
The people who think sitting cross legged is showing off really need to get a life! Or some class maybe. You do not wanna show off your Punani area openly in public :|
You inherited the honesty :) I am pretty sure you did not pick it up :)
Being able to throw some slang is always a good thing :D And I had such a horrible walk when I was in Canada!
LOL. I pick up other people's vernacular. It's really odd because it just creeps up and comes out of nowhere.
Bella,
I know! And then you'd be like omg where did THAT come from? In that moment of astonishment, when it happens to me, I happen to just zone out and go into my own world backtracking where it came from, all in a split second :P
Post a Comment