February 16, 2011

I'll be your best friend and you'll be mine.. Valentine

Friendship is a very simple concept. It's something that we all know right from when we start being sane. It's almost natural. But sometimes even such basic stuff can make us so over-confident and arrogant that we tend to forget what it means. Not to mention the global advancement and the technology and just the modern I don't give a shit attitude of people. Selfishness, Conditions, and Jealousy are popular visitors in today's house of friendship. What we need to do at such times is to use something we all rely on - Google. I know, I am a Google and Wiki freak. But I could not have expressed myself better than this:


Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
  • The tendency to desire what is best for the other
  • Sympathy and empathy
  • Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
  • Mutual understanding and compassion
  • Trust in one another (able to express feelings - including in relation to the other's actions - without the fear of being judged); able to go to each other for emotional support
  • Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.
I have a few friends in my life. I have many acquaintances, as I spoke about in another blog entry. Call me stupid, but I classify my friends, according to an article I read long, long ago in a magazine called Femina. I think life is easier if we each have one of these.

1. The Listener: She listens to you, while you yap your lungs out. You cry to her, you tell her everything when you're angry, you talk to her about your feelings, you tell her what you really think deep down inside. She listens. She remembers every word of it. She lends you a shoulder and says, "Everything will be okay".

2. The Talker: You listen to her. You are her listener. She can also irritate the crap out of you at times, but the irritation is just temporary coz after all you do love her.

3. The Advisor: You always run to her for help. She seems to always have the solution for you. A practical, unbiased and level headed girl who would whack you at the back of your head if she knew you were up to no good.

4. The Slut: Oh, how you love hearing her stories! You play the listener here.

5. The Artist: You can talk about philosophy, and find answers to the questions that were important for you to figure out, but you never really gave them a thought.

6. The Fun Friend: You go shopping with her, Movies, Slumber Parties maybe, all that jazz, nothing serious. Pure fun!

7. The Conditional Friend: Only in the times when you really need their assistance. Like someones phone number. You never call them back nor do they expect you to.

8. The Best Friend: You don't really care about the qualities, coz well she is your BFF after all!

I couldn't help but realize at this point, that we all go through the transition and transform into each one of the above at a certain point in our life. Interestingly true. I have had friends, they came and went away, I have had some really really brutal fights with them too. But what when this happens?




I would pick my ass up and be on the first way out to be there for him/her! No conditions, No restrictions. I actually might even end up going out for an enemy.


I do have few friends. They are all good friends, like Peggy. Some of them are very good friends, like Joe and Purple. But the one person closest to being a best friend is someone who is so special to me, that she needs a different blog post altogether.

How is your relationship with your best friends?

Lots of Love
Apfel
xoxo

4 comments:

beanditch said...

I'm usually the slut in my friendships. ;) No, I'd like to think I'm the listener. I love to listen, I'm good at it (I hope). I think you're a listener, too.
Hope your day went well. Talk to you later. :) ♥♥♥

Ms. Faustus said...

I'm very protective of my own, I might go after an enemy, too :)

Like you said, perhaps the thought that all of us play all of these roles with different people is closest to the truth. But the types are interesting.

Apfel said...

Stacey :)

No, you're the listener for sure! :) I'm wondering if you think I listen and I think you listen, how the hell do we talk so much!?
Day was good! Hope your day was better! ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Apfel said...

Chris,

Yeah, I was trying to identify myself with one of them and I identified with all at some point! I am sure everyone goes through the transition :)

Post a Comment