I think today's post would be my most favorite of the 30 days of Truth posts so far. It speaks to me more because it's about Music. If there was a language I was fluent at except English and a bunch of Indian languages, it would have to be Music. I live music. I love music. I can relate every moment of my life to some song or the other, which answers why I use lyrics as post titles many times. I can listen to music of all genres and relate to it whether I understand the lyrics or not. But I don't have a favorite. I cannot have a favorite, and I will not have a favorite. I cannot narrow it down to a particular genre either, coz I went through phases, of which I will talk in the letter below. This is going to be a long one!
Apfel.
Dear Music Industry,
I am just a tiny grain of sand in the vast shore of people that relate to each word that you say. It's funny actually, how much difference a simple melody makes to just a sentence. I bet if my parents composed songs instead of giving me those long and boring lectures I'd be having a very different life and a different relationship with them today. I always wished the man I loved could sing to me, and I could sing back to him too. Not for the sake of making an impression, but somehow the musical notes and the layers in the voices indicate the tones of deepness of the heart, where it all comes from. I could say Thank you in every sentence I type out in this letter, but that would just make it boring for everyone, and then I'd have to make a melody out of it for people to listen to it, and honestly I suck at it.
I never knew how it was to experience tough times, to be a rebel, to fight for my rights and/or to raise questions to the world, till I was in my mid teens. I never wanted to ask the question Why. I used to listen to songs over and over again but I admit it, I did not get what it meant. They were just a string of words for me. The first time I fell for a guy, even though it was a crush, was at the tender age of 13. I experienced rejection, and I felt upset, I felt like talking to no one but someone just GOT what I meant, and it was you, Jennifer Lopez. You told me that Love didn't cost a thing, and that If I gave my love to someone, I had to pick someone who would take care of me. That was when I realized that those were not just strings of words, they actually meant something.
As I grew up, I started listening to songs rather than just hearing them. I started becoming more opinionated and taking interest in what was going on around me, and what it meant or why could it not be some other way. I started asking questions, talking back to my parents when things did not make sense to me. There were so many emotions, states of confusion, and it was the perfect time to fall in love - with rock music. Trust me, I thought of rock music as nothing but noise when I was a child (that's what was taught to us). The first rock song I really listened to was In the Shadows by Rasmus, and there has been no looking back since. Thank you, Pink Floyd for making me stand up in the class and asking the teacher to leave us kids alone. Thank you, Blind Melon, for picking me up in times where I felt I never fit into any circle, and that even if I was the plump kid with spectacles in a Honey Bee costume, I still had a group of similar people, somewhere, waiting for me. I miss you guys, I miss you, Shannon Hoon.
Thank you Linkin Park, for telling me that what I was actually feeling, was Numb. Thank you Dido, for telling me that I'll always be in love. Thank you Savage Garden, for making the whole relationship journey so beautiful (and I also owe my career choice to you, but more on that later), and Thank You, Eric Clapton for complimenting me on my looks every night. My love for rock music is undying. Although I listen to a little bit of everything, I cannot get enough of rock music. I cannot mention each one of you out here, but please know that I love you all, from the bottom of my heart. A special thanks to Metallica, and Bob Seger. For Turning the Page and telling me to be true to myself, and Nothing else would matter. I slightly feel like I am doing injustice to this post coz I have a mental block right now and can't think of a lot of names. But my late teens are specially dedicated to you, rock music.
I grew up a little more, words made more sense to me, and I started writing poetry. I started feeling things deep inside. I did not know that I felt things so deep inside and I loved music so much that I would only be able to express myself the best, in the form of a song. Thank you for making it clear to me Extreme, that it took More than Words, and not just saying I love you that was important. I always had you for my rescue Bryan Adams, John Mayer, Shania Twain, The Cranberries, Kelly Clarkson, Seal, Nickelback, Maroon 5, Hinder, Creed, and so many more. I don't know if this is too lame but I might or might not have shed tears while listening and connecting to some songs over the years. You truly complete me. It's a large Unison!
Recently I have discovered and started to pay homage to my Hip Hop favorites and they do team up well with Mr. David Guetta, Benni Benassi, the Various DJ's and help me run on the treadmill each day, day after day. Rihanna got me through some pretty tough times, before she started looking like a ho ho ho her makeover. I have started to finally get what Taylor Swift says, and even though I would never understand, Bruno Mars, as to why would you THROW YOUR HAND ON A BLADE for someone instead of taking the blade and slitting it through your hand, I still love you, and I get what you mean. Thank you, Poets of The Fall, for understanding that without that someone my life is nothing but a Carnival of Rust.Thank you, the entire music industry, even the bad ones coz you make me love the songs I love all the more.
I forgot a very important part, the part where I thank all the artists that were with me all through this journey yet, and I did not realize they were actually making an impact. Now, I look back and it makes a lot of sense, it really does. So Thank you, all the boy bands, and I am sorry but my love just grew past you. But you will always be an integral part of my life and I will always remember that there was a time when you were my everything, Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Blue, Boyzone, NSYNC, and I'll add Justin Bieber too, just coz I think he really does have a good voice when I disregard that he is a boy. He sounds like a pretty good girl singer. I will never feel ashamed in admitting that I once loved (and secretly fantasized, except you, Justin Bieber. I only feel sorry for you) about you.
I am in that phase right now where I discover daily that old is gold. Falling in love with the classics. Plus all my awesome blogger friends increase my awareness each passing day.
Last but not the least, I thank you a little bit more, Justin Timberlake, for reminding me to be a good girl, coz What Goes Around Comes Around, it really does! And also coz you knew exactly when the old me was dead and gone, yeah.
I am in that phase right now where I discover daily that old is gold. Falling in love with the classics. Plus all my awesome blogger friends increase my awareness each passing day.
Last but not the least, I thank you a little bit more, Justin Timberlake, for reminding me to be a good girl, coz What Goes Around Comes Around, it really does! And also coz you knew exactly when the old me was dead and gone, yeah.
So, this is it. I love all of you! Always will :)
You make life so much easier!

6 comments:
Honest and moving post. Something I have thought endless times to write how music fits into my life but somehow I just couldn't place the words in such a marvelous manner like you.
I love NUMB(LP) and Carnival of Rust a lot.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Welcome to the blog Ragpicker :) I have not even included 10% of the songs that relate to me.. But I tried!
Wonderful post! Every one of these artists touches a string in us, and it's a great feeling to have them available at the click of a button when we need them...
I got pissed off on Sunday when a friend commented on how bad the BEP's lyrics were during the Super Bowl halftime. What was he expecting, Shakespeare? He is a jazz musician, and thinks the whole pop scene stupid. Can't physically tell P Diddy from Kanye West, but has an *opinion* about both of them. Blah.
I said that pop music has its own criteria and should be judged by them. You can't compare Scary Movie with Hitchcock, dude.
...crawling back into my bitch hole...
LOVE THIS! I know I've professed my music snobbiness lately, but I do have love for pop and such. Just not as deep. :)
I laughed so hard at the Rihanna and Bieber parts! She (Rihanna, not Bieber) has become so skanky.
Oh, and I totally think you should post some poetry, if you're comfortable with it. I would love to read some! ♥
Thanks Chris! Yeah I agree. I personally think BEP were way better when they started out, they're left with nothing but to make remixes of the Dirty Dancing classics now!
Here in India, the way I grew up, we were forbidden from watching MTV or Channel V (The only 2 channels airing songs) coz they were 'bad influence' on us. I really wonder why. The songs back then were much less trashier than Lady GaGa dancing with some really weird clothes and mentally disturbing images at times (She does have a good singing voice though). Later, a new channel called ITV started, where you could call up and make requests for songs through the phone. When parents went to work, that was all I did, and all they had was J Lo :P
I love rock music the most, but yeah I do not know many of the artists which have been the legends. I am actually glad that I am getting to listen to them now, when I have a much better understanding and the ability to depict better :)
And about your friend, I would have done the exact same thing if I were in your position. No wonder people hate me lol :)
Stacey :)
Yeah! I used to love Rihanna way better when she was with Chris Brown, and even more when she was still new, with all the Pon De Replay stuff :P And JB well... I have no words for the little girl.. :P
I get to listen to so many bands/artists through your blog, and it's like the musical storehouse for me! I love visiting both your blogs and everyday I have a new song to listen to :)
Yeah, I should post up some Poetry actually, I will :)
Post a Comment